The only trail in the park that is fully accessible to those with impaired mobility is Kautz Creek Trail, a ½-mi boardwalk that leads to a splendid view of the mountain. Parts of the Trail of the Shadows at Longmire and the Grove of the Patriarchs at Ohanapecosh are also accessible. Campgrounds at Cougar Rock, Ohanapecosh, and Sunshine Point have several accessible sites. All main visitor centers, as well as National Park Inn at Longmire, are accessible.
Admission Fees and Permits
The entrance fee of $15 per vehicle and $5 for those on foot, motorcycle, or bicycle, is good for seven days. Annual passes are $30. Climbing permits are $30 per person per climb or glacier trek. Wilderness camping permits must be obtained for all backcountry trips, and advance reservations are highly recommended.
Mt. Rainier National Park is open 24/7 year-round, but with limited access in winter. Gates at Nisqually (Longmire) are staffed year-round during the day; facilities at Paradise and Ohanapecosh are open daily from late May to mid-October; and Sunrise is open daily July to early October. During off-hours you can buy passes at the gates from machines that accept credit and debit cards. Winter access to the park is limited to the Nisqually entrance, and the Jackson Memorial Visitor Center at Paradise is open on weekends and holidays in winter.
There are no ATMs in the park. ATMs are available at stores, gas stations, and bank branches in Ashford, Packwood, and Eatonville.
Automobile Service Stations
Gas and automotive services are not available in Mount Rainier National Park. Ashford and Packwood, with several stations each, are the closest outlets.
Cell-phone reception is unreliable throughout much of the park, although access is clear at Paradise, Sunrise, and Crystal Mountain. Public telephones are at all park visitor centers, at the National Park Inn at Longmire, and at Paradise Inn at Paradise.
The National Park Inn Post Office (Longmire Visitor Complex, Hwy. 706 E., 10 mi east of Nisqually entrance, Longmire, WA, 98304. No phone.)
Paradise Inn Post Office (Near Henry M. Jackson Visitor Center, Paradise Rd. E., Ashford, WA, 98398. No phone.)
Shops and Grocers
General Store at Longmire's National Park Inn (Longmire Visitor Complex, Longmire, WA, 98397. 360/569-2411. www.mtrainierguestservices.com.)
Plaza Market (201 Center St. E., Eatonville, WA, 98328. 360/832-6151.)
Park Contact Information
Mount Rainier National Park (55210 238th Avenue East, Ashford, WA, 98304. 360/569-2211 or 360/569-6575. www.nps.gov/mora.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $131-$178 -- Seattle: Hilton Hotel w/City Views, Save 55% Expedia
- $179-$189 -- 4-Star Seattle Hotel over July Fourth Week Renaissance Seattle Hotel
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- $19.99 per day -- Rent a Chevrolet Cruze in Seattle Sixt Rent a Car
- $176-$204 -- Downtown Seattle Hotel Through Summer — $176-$204 Holiday Inn Seattle