- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This former ferry town was founded in 1862 as a way station for travelers heading to the Idaho goldfields. It is the twin city of Lewiston, Idaho, across the river. Clarkston is surrounded by grass-covered hills—green in spring and gold in summer. Along the river a pleasant walkway, the Greenbelt, and Swallows Park invite visitors to explore. You can walk all the way downriver to Asotin, about 5 mi south of town. Swallow Rock is dotted with the jug-shape mud nests of cliff swallows. Clarkston has a symphony orchestra, a civic theater, and art galleries.
Elsewhere in Eastern Washington
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line