Eastern Washington Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Washington, D.C. 2013
The Columbia Plateau was created by a series of lava flows that were later deeply cut by glacial floods. Because its soil is mostly made up of alluvial deposits and windblown silt (known to geologists as loess), it's very fertile. But little annual rainfall means that its vast central section—more than 30,000 square mi from the foothills of the Cascades and the northeastern mountains east to Idaho and south to Oregon—has no forests. In fact, except for a few scattered pine trees in the north, oaks in the southwest, and willows and cottonwoods along creeks and rivers, it has no trees.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Eastern Washington restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Eastern Washington
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Save in Walla Walla: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $147+/Nt Expedia
- $99.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Moses Lake Hotwire
- Spokane on Sale! 18 Nts + Air as Low as $1,497 Travelocity
- $13.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Spokane Hotwire
- May deal: Travelodge Walla Walla/East Main St Fr $82+/Nt — $82 Expedia
1. The Davenport Hotel blends the very best of yesteryear with high-tech touches.... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Now40° F Partly Cloudy 97% Humidity May 22, 2013 at 2:53AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
An article about the top ten attractions in the May 12, 2013, edition of The Seattle Times got me to thinking about my favorite attractions in my home town.
My top three, it turns out, are the Pike Place Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more