- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Founded in 1610, Hampton is the oldest continuously existing English-speaking settlement in the United States—recently celebrating 400 years. It also holds the country's first aviation research facility, NASA Langley Research Center. The center was headquarters for the first manned space program in the United States: astronauts for the Mercury and Apollo missions trained here.
Hampton was one of Virginia's major Colonial cities. In 1718 the pirate William Teach (better known as Blackbeard) was killed by Virginia sailors in a battle off North Carolina. As a warning to other pirates, the sailors brought his head back and mounted it on a pole at the entrance to the Hampton River (now Blackbeard Point, a residential area).
The city has been partially destroyed three times: by the British during the Revolution and again during the War of 1812, then by Confederates preempting Union invaders during the Civil War. Since the mid-1990s, Hampton has been undergoing a face-lift. It hosts many summer concerts and family festivals.
Hampton at a Glance
Elsewhere in Williamsburg and Hampton Roads
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Newport News this May Fr $101+/Nt Expedia
- Holiday Inn Express Newport News in May: $144 & Up Expedia
- Top Vacation Sale! 3 Nts + Air as Low as $623 Travelocity
- Sail to Norfolk with Carnival Cruise Lines, 5 Nts Fr $329 Expedia
- $26.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Newport News Hotwire