- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hour-long guided walking tours of the historic area depart from the Greenhow Lumber House daily from 9 to 5. Reservations should be made on the day of the tour at the Lumber House and can be made only by those with tickets to Colonial Williamsburg. "The Original Ghosts of Williamsburg" Candlelight Tour is based on the book of the same name by L. B. Taylor Jr. The tour is offered every evening at 8 (there's also an 8:45 tour June-August). The 1¼-hour, lantern-lighted guided tour through historic Williamsburg costs $11, and interpreters well versed in Williamsburg and Colonial history are available to lead groups on tours of the historic area. Carriage and wagon rides are available daily, weather permitting. General ticket holders may purchase tickets on the day of the ride at the Lumber House.
For walking tours, be sure to park at the visitor center, as cars are not permitted on Duke of Gloucester Street.
Lanthorn Tours (available in the summer) takes you on an evening walking tour of trade shops where jewelry and other products are made in 18th-century style. The separate ticket required for this program may be purchased at the visitor center or from the Greenhow Lumber House.
Boat tours aboard the 135-foot three-masted topsail schooner American Rover cruise Hampton Roads nautical historical landmarks. The Victory Rover and Spirit of Norfolk cruise the Elizabeth River to the Norfolk Naval Station. The Spirit has lunch, early dinner, dinner, and moonlight cruises. The Carrie B., a scaled-down reproduction of a Mississippi riverboat, makes a variety of Hampton Roads cruises, including naval station, sunset, and moonlight cruises. All boats leave the Norfolk waterfront, the Victory Rover from beside Nauticus, and the others from beside Waterside. In addition, the Carrie B. stops at the Portsmouth waterfront to load passengers.
Three self-guided audio tours of Colonial Williamsburg can be rented at the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center: "Highlights of the Historic Area," "Reading the Restoration Architecture," and "Voices of the Revolution." Wander at your own pace; when you stop in front of a numbered location, enter the number into the player and hear all about it. Each recording is about 45 minutes and costs $6 for ticketed guests or $15 for those without tickets.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $69.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Norfolk Hotwire
- Starting Fr $66: Great Norfolk Price Save with Hotels.com, $34/night less
- Hilton Norfolk Airport Biggest Sale! 7 Nts + Air Fr $1,158 Travelocity
- Sail to Norfolk with Carnival Cruise Lines, 5 Nts Fr $329 Expedia
- $23.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Newport News Hotwire