- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Charles City County
Colonists founded Charles City County in 1616. This tiny county is unique, being the only U.S. county to have a native president (William Harrison) and his vice president and successor (John Tyler) take office simultaneously, in 1841. Today you can get a taste of those early days by following Route 5 on its scenic way, parallel to the James River, past nine plantations—some of which are now bed-and-breakfasts.
Charles City County at a Glance
Elsewhere in Williamsburg and Hampton Roads
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe