National Wildlife Refuges
National Wildlife Refuges Review
At the southernmost tip of the Delmarva Peninsula, the unique Eastern Shore of Virginia and the Fisherman Island National Wildlife Refuges—including nearby Skidmore Island—established in 1984, are among the most untrammeled havens for winged wildlife, resident and migrating alike, in the region.
Each fall, between late August and early November, a vast migration of monarch butterflies and songbirds descend by the thousands on these forests and wetlands in myrtle and bayberry thickets, grasslands and croplands, on their voyage south.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I always get such helpful advice on the forums so I want to repay the favor by posting my trip report. Read more
My mom (62) and I (32) wanted to enjoy a long weekend away together over the MLK holiday. Read more
Planning a visit to the Virginia Beach area. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more