Getting Here and Around
Chincoteague is about 10 mi east of U.S. 13, just south of the Maryland–Virginia line. Driving is permitted through two picturesque sectors of the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, occupying the southern third of Assateague (Barrier) Island. Appropriate off-road vehicles with special permits may drive to the southernmost tip, known as Tom's Cove Hook. Some 10 mi of pristine beaches to the north are readily accessible on foot.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's