Just south of the Maryland-Virginia line, a few miles east of U.S. 13, the Virginia Eastern Shore's island resort town of Chincoteague (pronounced shin-coh-teeg), which means "large stream or inlet"—also known as Chinoteague Island—exudes a pleasant aura of seclusion. Small, but bustling, with affordable eateries and myriad shops, it is eminently walkable. Within a few minutes' drive or an easy bike ride, relatively uncrowded beaches stretch northward for miles. Small inns and B&Bs abound.
Chincoteague at a Glance
Elsewhere in Virginia's Eastern Shore
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109-$119 -- Va.: Charlottesville Hotel incl. Breakfast Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlottesville North
- $519 & up -- 7-Nt. Canada & New England Cruise, Save $180 Norwegian Cruise Line