This 1890 schoolhouse is now a pale-honey-color Victorian B&B. The first-floor classrooms have been opened into an expansive, columned lobby with a painted checkerboard floor. The upstairs bedrooms and six small cottages behind the inn are decorated romantically chic, with pastel painted floors and interesting window treatments. In the garden, surrounded by a tall wooden fence, there's a completely open-air bathroom that can be booked by adventurous couples. In 2004
the inn built new cottages, called "tents," in an allusion to turn-of-the-20th-century Methodist tent communities. On wooded bluffs overlooking the headwaters of Carter's Creek, the tents each have three bedrooms and a kitchen, and there's a pool and dock for canoes and kayaks as well as the "Detention" wine bar.