Planning Your Time
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Planning Your Time
You'll want to devote most of your time to the areas closest to Washington, D.C., such as Arlington and Alexandria. These are easily connected to one another via Metrorail and Metrobus. It wouldn't be unusual to spend the day visiting Arlington's monuments to the military, yet end the day with a seafood dinner in Old Town Alexandria. Allow about an hour for travel through the District of Columbia via Metrorail, however, especially on weekends or during non-rush hours. Another quick trip from Virginia is to ride the ferry across the Potomac River from either Mount Vernon or Alexandria to stroll the National Harbor in Maryland or the streets of Georgetown. For all other vehicular crossings, the Capital Beltway traverses the Potomac as well, via the American Legion and Woodrow Wilson bridges.
If you have more time, drive away from the capital toward Manassas, Middleburg, and Occoquan. Plan to spend at least half a day or more in each outlying town. Enjoy the slower pace of life and go wine tasting, antiques shopping, or picnicking in the many parks.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Manassas Savings! Book at Candlewood Suites Manassas Fr $103+/Nt Expedia
- Jun deal: Red Roof Inn Washingtonn DC - Manassas Fr $83+/Nt Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Small budget: Book Days Inn Manassas 3 Nts in Jun Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Expedia
- Manassas Savings! Book at Hampton Inn Manassas Fr $100+/Nt — $100 Expedia
- $74.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Manassas — $74 Hotwire