- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Amtrak serves the region with six trains to Alexandria and two to Manassas in each direction daily. Amtrak's Autotrain terminal is in Lorton, between Springfield and Woodbridge and just off I-95. The Alexandria station is colocated with a major bus hub and a Metrorail station. Virginia Railway Express (VRE) provides cheap workday service between Union Station in Washington, D.C., and Fredericksburg and Manassas, with 18 stops, including all Amtrak stations along the route. VRE offers discounted multiride, five-day, monthly, and senior ticket fares. Free parking is available at most suburban VRE stations.
Amtrak has scheduled stops in New Carrollton and at BWI Airport as part of its East Coast service.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe