Alexandria forefather and Scottish merchant John Carlyle built this grand house, which was completed in 1753 and modeled on a country manor in the old country. Students of the French and Indian War will want to know that the dwelling served as General Braddock's headquarters. The house retains its original 18th-century woodwork and contains Chippendale furniture and Chinese porcelain. An architectural exhibit on the second floor explains how the house was built; outside
there's an attractive garden of colonial-era plants.