The main attraction for those who come to Chantilly, this Federal-period home has changed hands many times since it was built in 1794 by Richard Bland Lee, Northern Virginia's first representative to Congress. Citizen action in the 20th century saved it from destruction during construction of nearby Dulles Airport. In the 1970s the house and its outbuildings were restored to their original appearance, with a representative kitchen and flower gardens. A 45-minute tour is
offered every hour on the hour, and tours of the outbuildings and slave quarters are available daily at 2 pm. Educational programs, special events, and living-history programs are held here throughout the year.