In 1861, when Alexandria was occupied by Union forces, the 800 soldiers of the city's garrison marched out of town to join the Confederate Army. In the middle of Washington and Prince streets stands a statue marking the point where they assembled. In 1885 Confederate veterans proposed a memorial to honor their fallen comrades. This statue, based on John A. Elder's painting Appomattox, is of a lone soldier glumly surveying the battlefields after General Robert E.
Lee's surrender. The names of 99 Alexandria Confederate dead are carved on the base.
Washington and Prince Sts., Alexandria, Virginia, 22314, United States