- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The area around here was surveyed by George Washington in 1763, when it was known as Chinn's Crossroads. It was considered strategic because of its location midway on the Winchester-Alexandria route (roughly what is now U.S. 50). Loudoun County also had the largest militia in the state of Virginia during the Revolutionary War. Many of Middleburg's homes include horse farms, and the town is known for its steeplechases and fox hunts in spring and fall. Attractive boutiques and stores line U.S. 50 (the main street). Roads out to the vineyards are often unpaved and narrow.
Middleburg at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northern Virginia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's