- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Huntley Meadows Park. On this 1,500-acre refuge in Alexandria, you can spot more than 200 bird species—from ospreys to owls, egrets, and ibis. Much of the park is wetlands, a favorite of aquatic species. A boardwalk circles through a marsh, enabling you to spot beaver lodges, and 4 miles of trails wend through the park, making it likely you'll see deer, muskrats, and river otters as well. The park has an observation tower for good wildlife spotting and a small visitor's center and gift shop. 3701 Lockheed Blvd., Alexandria, VA, 22035. 703/768–2525. www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/huntley.
Rent a Bike
Rent a bike at the idyllic Washington Sailing Marina, on the Mount Vernon Bike Trail. A 12-mi ride south will take you to the front doors of Mount Vernon, and a 6-mi ride north across the Memorial Bridge will put you at the foot of the Washington Monument. Cruisers cost $8 per hour or $25 per day. The marina is open 9-5 daily.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's