- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Many travelers to western Virginia prefer to fly into international airports in the Washington-Baltimore area (Dulles, Reagan National, Baltimore-Washington International), Richmond, or Greensboro, North Carolina, then commute by rental car; all three areas are within two hours' drive of western Virginia destinations.
The region's three largest airports—Charlottesville-Albermarle, Lynchburg, and Roanoke—are small and relatively hassle-free. Regional carriers using small jets and turboprops are the norm, though larger jets sometimes serve Roanoke. Tri-Cities Regional Airport is just across the state line in Blountville, Tennessee, for easy access to the Abingdon area.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Visit Lynchburg for Less: Hotels Fr $60+/Nt Travelocity
- Lynchburg Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $131+/Nt Expedia
- $12.95 & up : Economy rentals in Lynchburg Hotwire
- Book in Lynchburg: Save at the Sleep Inn in May Fr $123+/Nt — $123 Expedia
- $17.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Lynchburg — $18 Hotwire