- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
There is a regional airport in Roanoke (www.roanokeairport.com) or you can fly into Richmond, Charlottesville, or Washington, DC, and drive from there. About 50 mi south of Lexington on I-81, Roanoke is the largest city west of Richmond and also one of the largest accessible from the Blue Ridge Parkway. To access the downtown area, including the Visitor Information Center, Center in the Square, the Civic Center and other major attractions, you'll want to take Exit 143 at the tri-level exchange where I-581 and Route 220 intersect with I-81.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe