- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Appalachian Trail is north and west of Roanoke, crossing the valley at Troutville, 5 mi to the north. Two of the most-photographed formations on the entire 2,000-mi route from Georgia to Maine, McAfee Knob and Dragon's Tooth, are accessible from trailheads on the Virginia 311 highway, west of the valley. Roanoke, VA.
The Star Trail winds through a forest oasis amid the metropolitan area as it works its way up 1½ mi to the Mill Mountain Star. Trailhead on Riverland Rd., 2 mi southeast of downtown Roanoke, Roanoke, VA, 24014.
Other trails can be found along the Blue Ridge Parkway to the east and south and in the George Washington and Jefferson national forests to the north and west. For more information, contact the national forests' Supervisor's Office. 5162 Valleypointe Pkwy., Roanoke, VA, 24019. 540/265-5100 or 888/265-0019.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello Fr $168+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Charlottesville Fr $96+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $40/night less
- $16.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Charlottesville Hotwire
- May deal: Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville Fr $147+/Nt — $147 Expedia
- $10.95 & up : Compact rentals in Charlottesville — $11 Hotwire