- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Virginia and Maryland
Check Rates from our Partners
The Inn at Little Washington Review
What began as a small-town eatery in 1978 has grown into a legend. The rich interior of the three-story white-frame inn is the work of Joyce Conway-Evans, who has designed theatrical sets and rooms in English royal houses. Plush canopy beds, marble bathrooms, and fresh flowers make the rooms sumptuous. If you need more space, the Inn also has two luxurious cottages: the 3,200-square-foot Claiborne House and the smaller but equally charming Gamekeeper's Cottage, both steps from the main inn. Chef Patrick O'Connell's much-loved New American food is served in a slate-floor dining room with William Morris wallpaper, and his restaurant consistently wins respect from international critics. For $350–$450 per person, gourmands can reserve a seat at the Chef's Table to watch the kitchen in action. The seven-course prix-fixe dinner is $148–$178 per person (depending on the day of the week and not including wine and drinks); rooms are equally pricey, with the Claiborne House topping out at $2,570 per night. There are also additional rate surcharges on weekends and during peak seasons.
With only 30 tables, the dining room at the Inn at Little Washington is an intimate setting to enjoy a decadent multicourse meal. Chef Patrick O'Connell treats diners to upscale American cuisine in the form of a set prix-fixe menu that changes with the seasons. Look for delicacies like lamb loin served over parsley risotto with roasted-garlic–ramp custard and morel mushrooms, or new twists on classic dishes like macaroni and cheese with Virginia country ham and shaved black summer truffle.
- Address: 309 Middle St., at Main. St. Washington, VA 22747 | Map It
- Phone: 540/675–3800
- Website: www.theinnatlittlewashington.com
- Location: Washington
- 18 rooms, 3 suites, 2 cottages.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Hotel and restaurant closed Tues. except in May and Oct.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
General outline of the trip that DW and I took Dec. Read more
I always get such helpful advice on the forums so I want to repay the favor by posting my trip report. Read more
My boyfriend and I have just started planning a business/pleasure trip for the fall. Read more
· News & Features
Celebrate Presidents Day today with a trip to the plantation home of our third Commander-in-Chief, Thomas ... Read more