- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Market Square Review
Market Square is the heart of Roanoke, with Virginia's oldest continuous farmers' market, a multiethnic food court inside the restored City Market Building, and several restaurants, shops, and bars. The building is undergoing a renovation to turn it into a retail complex with shops and restaurants (opening late 2011), but the farmers' market will stay in operation at its current location throughout the construction period.
In a restored warehouse, Center in the Square contains the Mill Mountain Theatre and regional museums covering science, history, and art, but during the renovation, the museums will be moving into temporary quarters starting in 2011. The finished facade will be upgraded, and a new atrium and green rooftop space with a butterfly habitat will be added. Check the Center's Web site for address and contact information until the construction is completed in 2012. A combined ticket grants access to the science museum, which has many interactive exhibits, as well as the MegaDome theater and Hopkins Planetarium. 1 Market Sq. SE, 24011. 540/342-5700. www.centerinthesquare.org.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I always get such helpful advice on the forums so I want to repay the favor by posting my trip report. Read more
My mom (62) and I (32) wanted to enjoy a long weekend away together over the MLK holiday. Read more
Planning a visit to the Virginia Beach area. Read more
· News & Features
Celebrate Presidents Day today with a trip to the plantation home of our third Commander-in-Chief, Thomas ... Read more