- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Virginia and Maryland
At a Glance
- gorgeous scenery
- outdoor activities
- crowded in summer
- far from Blacksburg
- no pets
Check Rates from our Partners
Mountain Lake Review
The 1987 movie "Dirty Dancing" was filmed here, and the resort (Kellerman's in the movie) hosts special themed weekends with dancing, a movie location tour, and other special events. Centered around the highest natural lake east of the Mississippi, accommodations range from spartan cottages to plush suites in a majestic sandstone hotel from 1930 (the resort itself predates the Civil War). You can also rent two, three, and four-bedroom cottages if you need more space for an extended stay. Atop 4,000-foot Salt Pond Mountain, outdoor activities abound: you can hike, mountain bike, ride horses, swim, and boat within the 2,500-acre Mountain Lake Wilderness, which surrounds the hotel. The adjacent Jefferson National Forest offers even more recreation, including a segment of the Appalachian Trail.
- Address: 115 Hotel Circle, 7 mi north of U.S. 460 on Rte. 700 Pembroke, VA 24136 | Map It
- Phone: 540/626–7121; 800/346-3334
- Hours: Seasonal May–Oct., some weekends Nov.–Dec. Closed Jan.–Apr.
- Website: www.mountainlakehotel.com
- Location: Blacksburg and the New River Valley
- 28 cottages, 16 lodge rooms, 43 hotel rooms.
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
General outline of the trip that DW and I took Dec. Read more
I always get such helpful advice on the forums so I want to repay the favor by posting my trip report. Read more
My boyfriend and I have just started planning a business/pleasure trip for the fall. Read more
· News & Features
Celebrate Presidents Day today with a trip to the plantation home of our third Commander-in-Chief, Thomas ... Read more