The original building, circa 1836, served as a public library and debating hall before becoming a retail space. In the Victorian era, it was an ice cream parlor and today, it houses a full-service restaurant with both indoor and alfresco dining. Wood booths line the walls of the plant-filled room; the pressed-metal ceiling is original. Specialties on the American menu include broccoli-cheese soup, charbroiled meats, and teriyaki chicken. The menu features traditional soups and salads, burgers and sandwiches, and steaks and pasta. The Palms is open for lunch as well.