- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Founded primarily by German settlers of the Mennonite and Lutheran faiths, the town's first foray into industry was printing. New Market's Historic District is on the National Register of Historic Places and is also a Virginia Historic Landmark, and the small town played a key role in the Civil War. Stonewall Jackson's troops marched through the small town several times during the war and the 1864 Battle of New Market is reenacted every May on the grounds of the Hall of Valor Civil War Museum.
New Market at a Glance
Elsewhere in Central and Western Virginia
- Bath County
- Blacksburg and the New River Valley
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's