- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lynchburg's fine municipal "greenway" system of trails is open to both bicyclists and hikers. The Blackwater Creek Natural Area & Bikeway has more than 12 mi of trails, most of them level and asphalt, which wind through a pleasant tree-shaded natural area within the city limits. One trail goes through a 500-foot tunnel. The Percival's Island Trail, three blocks from one edge of the natural area and in the shadow of the downtown skyline, extends for more than a mile along a narrow strip of land in the middle of the James River. Lynchburg, VA. 434/847-1640 City of Lynchburg Parks and Recreation Dept.
To rent a bike, contact Blackwater Creek Bike Rental, which is open weekdays 1 to 5 and weekends from 9 to sunset. 1611 Concord Tpke., Lynchburg, VA, 22504. 434/845-0293.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe