- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lynchburg was founded by John Lynch, a Quaker pacifist, and Thomas Jefferson visited often when he was vacationing at his nearby retreat, Poplar Forest. The revitalization of the riverfront area and downtown is centered around the Bluffwalk Center, a complex of historic warehouses that are now home to trendy restaurants, a boutique hotel, and the Jefferson Brewery. In 2006, the National Trust for Historic Places awarded Lynchburg a "Great American Main Street Award." Lynchburg is also home to Liberty University, whose Snowflex Centre has become the region's top recreational attraction. Snowflex offers year-round skiing and snowboarding to students, locals, and visitors, but there are plenty of other outdoor activities as well, including the Blackwater Creek bike trails. Appomattox Courthouse National Historical Park is a must-see for Civil War buffs, and Jefferson fans will enjoy his octagonal Poplar Forest home.
Lynchburg at a Glance
Elsewhere in Central and Western Virginia
- Bath County
- Blacksburg and the New River Valley
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's