Central and Western Virginia Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Central and Western Virginia
Witness the Thomas Jefferson Triumvirate: Explore this renaissance leader's passion for architecture and agriculture at Monticello, the University of Virginia, and Poplar Forest.
Tour Presidential Homes: Get up close and personal not only with Jefferson, but also James Madison, James Monroe, and Woodrow Wilson at their restored homes.
Stand on the Frontlines: Relive the final days of the Civil War at Appomattox or explore the many battlefields of the Shenandoah region.
See Mountain Sights: Ride the Appalachian crests along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. See a city beneath your feet from Roanoke's Mill Mountain, and soak in history at the Homestead Resort's Jefferson Pools, originally designed by that great statesman.
Hear Mountain Sounds: Dance to the twang of fiddles and banjoes outside the Floyd Country Store and all along the Crooked Road.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's