- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Charlottesville is off of I-64, just an hour from Richmond or two hours from Washington, D.C. Although the pedestrian mall in downtown Charlottesville is walkable, you'll need a car to see the historic presidential homes, wineries, and attractions in the region.
Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT) offers a free trolley service daily between downtown and the university. The University Transit Service at the University of Virginia has service to and from university buildings and parking lots, the hospital, on- and off-campus student housing, and the Barracks Road shopping center.
Van on the Go shuttles is a car service that shuttles guests from the Charlottesville airport to hotels, downtown, and area tourist attractions, but it's more expensive ($59-$99) than a local taxi. Average taxi fare to the UVA area is around $25 and local fares are about $3.00 per mile.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's