- Witness the Thomas Jefferson Triumvirate Explore this renaissance leader's passion for architecture and agriculture at Monticello, the University of Virginia, and Poplar Forest.
- Tour Presidential Homes Get up close and personal not only with Jefferson, but also James Madison, James Monroe, and Woodrow Wilson at their restored homes.
- Stand on the Frontlines Relive the final days of the Civil War at Appomattox or explore the many battlefields of the Shenandoah region.
- See Mountain Sights Ride the Appalachian crests along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. See a city beneath your feet from Roanoke's Mill Mountain, and soak in history at the Homestead Resort's Jefferson Pools, originally designed by that great statesman.
- Hear Mountain Sounds Dance to the twang of fiddles and banjoes outside the Floyd Country Store and all along the Crooked Road.
FODOR'S GO LIST 2015
The top 25 places we think should be on every traveler's radar this year.More