- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
There is something wonderful about eating by candlelight in an old barn. Chantecleer's dining rooms (in winter ask to sit by the great fieldstone fireplace) are wonderfully romantic, even with a collection of roosters atop the wooden beams. The menu leans toward the Continental with starters like a fine escargot glazed with Pernod in a hazelnut and parsley butter. Crowd pleasers include Colorado rack of lamb and whole Dover sole filleted tableside. A recipe from the chef's Swiss hometown makes a winning winter dessert: Basel Rathaus Torte, a delicious hazelnut layer cake.
- Address: 8 Reed Farm La., off Rte. 7A, 3½ mi north of Manchester East Dorset, VT 05253 | Map It
- Phone: 802/362–1616
- Website: www.chantecleerrestaurant.com
- Location: Manchester
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Nov. and April. Closed Mon. and Tues. No lunch.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
This week, my friend invited me up to visit her Stowe, Vermont. Read more
I know this is a somewhat suggestive title and a little misleading. Read more
We have a family wedding early November, 2014. Read more
· News & Features
Whether you're looking for a high-adrenaline adventure out on the slopes, the best spots for après-ski,... Read more
Rustic ski lodges, snow-lined streets, and maple syrup as far as the eye can see... Embrace the winte... Read more
Winter may be for snow sports, and summer for swimming, but there is no shortage of outdoor activities... Read more