- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
There are bountiful hiking trails in the Green Mountain National Forest. Shorter hikes begin at the Equinox Resort, which owns about 1,000 acres of forest and has a great trail system open to the public.
Long Trail. One of the most popular segments of Vermont's Long Trail leads to the top of Bromley Mountain. The strenous 5.4-mile round-trip takes about four hours. Rte. 11/30, Manchester, VT. www.greenmountainclub.org.
Lye Brook Falls. This 4.6-mile hike starts off Glen Road and ends at Vermont's most impressive cataract, Lye Brook Falls. The moderate hike takes four hours. Manchester East Rd., Manchester, VT, 05255.
Mountain Goat. Stop here for hiking, cross-country-skiing, and snowshoeing equipment, as well as lots of warm clothing. 4886 Main St., Manchester, VT, 05255. 802/362–5159. mountaingoat.com.
Eastern Mountain Sports. Eastern Mountain Sports rents and sells tents, clothing, equipment, kayaks, and just about everything else you could want for the outdoors. 263 Depot St., Manchester, VT, 05255. 802/366–8082. www.ems.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's