- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
There are bountiful hiking trails in the Green Mountain National Forest. Shorter hikes begin at the Equinox Resort, which owns about 1,000 acres of forest and has a great trail system open to the public.
Long Trail. One of the most popular segments of Vermont's Long Trail starts from a parking lot on Route 11/30 five minutes out of town and goes to the top of Bromley Mountain. The strenous 6-mi round-trip takes about four hours. Route 11/30, Manchester, VT. www.greenmountainclub.org.
Lye Brook Falls. A moderate four-hour hike starts off Manchester East Road and ends at Vermont's most impressive cataract, Lye Brook Falls. Manchester East Rd., Manchester, VT, 05255.
Mountain Goat. Stop here for hiking and backpacking equipment as well as snowshoe, cross-country, and Telemark ski rentals. 4886 Main St., Manchester, VT, 05255. 802/362–5159. mountaingoat.com.
Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS). Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) rents and sells tents, clothing, equipment, kayaks, and just about everything else you could want for the outdoors. 263 Depot St., Manchester, VT, 05255. 802/366–8082. www.ems.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe