- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Lake Shaftsbury State Park. There is a swimming beach, nature trails, boat and canoe rentals, and a snack bar here. Rte. 7A, 10½ mi north of Bennington, 262 Shaftsbury State Park Rd., Bennington, VT, 05262. 802/375–9978. www.vtstateparks.com/htm/shaftsbury.htm.
Woodford State Park. This park has an activities center on Adams Reservoir, playground, boat and canoe rentals, and nature trails. Rte. 9, 10 mi east of Bennington, 142 State Park Rd., Bennington, VT, 05201. 802/447–7169. www.vtstateparks.com/htm/woodford.htm.
Long Trail. Four miles east of Bennington, the Long Trail crosses Route 9 and runs south to the top of Harmon Hill. Allot two or three hours for this hike. Bennington, VT.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe