- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Lake Shaftsbury State Park. There is a swimming beach, nature trails, boat and canoe rentals, and a snack bar here. Rte. 7A, 10½ mi north of Bennington, 262 Shaftsbury State Park Rd., Bennington, VT, 05262. 802/375-9978. www.vtstateparks.com/htm/shaftsbury.htm.
Woodford State Park. This park has an activities center on Adams Reservoir, playground, boat and canoe rentals, and nature trails. Rte. 9, 10 mi east of Bennington, 142 State Park Rd., Bennington, VT, 05201. 802/447-7169. www.vtstateparks.com/htm/woodford.htm.
Long Trail. Four miles east of Bennington, the Long Trail crosses Route 9 and runs south to the top of Harmon Hill. Allot two or three hours for this hike. Bennington, VT.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $139-$169 -- VT Hotel by Downtown Burlington incl. July 4th Courtyard Burlington Williston