- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Vermont's oldest city, founded in 1788, is also the third oldest in New England. The downtown area is a compact district of restored Victorian homes and public buildings with a few good eateries sprinkled throughout. Main Street slopes down to Otter Creek Falls, where cannonballs were made during the War of 1812. The statue of Thomas MacDonough on the green immortalizes the victor of the Battle of Plattsburgh in 1814.
Vergennes at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northern Vermont
- The Craftsburys
- East Burke
- Lake Champlain Islands
- Lake Willoughby
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's