- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
As you drive along Main Street toward downtown Burlington, it's easy to see why this five-college city is so often called one of the most livable small cities in the United States. Downtown is filled with hip restaurants and bars, art galleries, and the Church Street Marketplace—a bustling pedestrian mall with trendy shops, craft vendors, street performers, and sidewalk cafés. Just beyond, Lake Champlain shimmers beneath the towering Adirondacks on the New York shore. On the shores of the lake, Burlington's revitalized waterfront teems with outdoors enthusiasts who bike or stroll along its recreation path, picnic on the grass, and ply the waters in sailboats and motor craft in summer.
Burlington's Local Food Movement
Burlington is exploding on the national food scene as one of the hubs of the local food movement. Known for its excellent soil and abundance of local organic farms—as is showcased in its huge weekly farmers' market (Saturdays, May through October) and popular outdoor summertime farm suppers—this health-conscious and liberal city is home to restaurants and markets with a foodie's focus on fresh, high-quality ingredients rivaling those of a much larger city. Burlington residents heading home from work are likely to be seen biking to pick up their weekly CSA-share at the Intervale (the city's huge web of community gardens), doing some weeding in their own urban garden plots, or stopping by one of the farms to pick berries or flowers on their way to a dinner party.
Burlington at a Glance
- ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center
- Ethan Allen Homestead Museum
- Green Mountain Audubon Nature Center
- American Flatbread Burlington
- Bluebird Tavern
- Farmhouse Tap & Grill
- Guild and Company Steakhouse
- Hen of the Wood Burlington
Elsewhere in Northern Vermont
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's