Northern Vermont Travel Guide
Fodor's Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire
Vermont's northernmost region reveals the state's greatest contrasts. To the west, Burlington and its suburbs have grown so rapidly that rural wags now say that Burlington's greatest advantage is that it's "close to Vermont." The north country also harbors Vermont's tiny capital, Montpelier, and its highest mountain, Mt. Mansfield, site of the famous Stowe ski resort. To the northeast of Montpelier is a sparsely populated and heavily wooded territory that former Senator George Aiken dubbed the "Northeast Kingdom." It's the domain of loggers, farmers, and avid outdoors enthusiasts.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Northern Vermont restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Northern Vermont
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $68.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Burlington Hotwire
- 3.5-Star Sheraton Burlington and Conference Center Fr $158+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $53/night less
- $15.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Burlington Hotwire
- $128.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Burlington — $128 Hotwire
- $9.95 & up : Economy rentals in Burlington — $10 Hotwire
In a time when "authentic" is a travel buzzword, its America's small towns that are drawing in visitors ... Read more
Vermont is a food lover's heaven with farmers' markets, microbreweries, working farms, the Ben & Jerry's... Read more
Who better to point us in the direction of our new favorite ski destination than Olympic, World Cup, and... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now70° F Mostly Cloudy 90% Humidity May 23, 2013 at 4:54AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I know this is a somewhat suggestive title and a little misleading. Read more
I took a three hour class at King Arthur Flour Baking Education Center in Norwich VT which was a lot of fun. Read more