Northern Vermont Travel Guide
Fodor's Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire
Plan Your Northern Vermont Vacation
Vermont's northernmost region presents the state's greatest contrasts. To the west, Burlington and its suburbs have grown so rapidly that rural wags now say that Burlington's greatest advantage is that it's "close to Vermont." The north country also harbors Vermont's tiny but charming capital, Montpelier, and its highest mountain, Mt. Mansfield, site of the famous Stowe and Smugglers’ Notch ski resorts. To the northeast of Montpelier is a sparsely populated and heavily wooded territory that former Senator George Aiken dubbed the "Northeast Kingdom." It's the domain of loggers, farmers, and avid outdoors enthusiasts.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Northern Vermont restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Northern Vermont
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Small budget: Book Hilton Burlington 3 Nts in Apr Fr $95+/Nt Save with Expedia, $41/night less
- Sheraton Burlington and Conference Center in Apr: $107 & Up Expedia
- Visit Burlington for Less: Hotels Fr $99+/Nt Save with Expedia, $42/night less
- Burlington Savings! Book 3 Nts in Apr Fr $116+/Nt Expedia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
No, not to join the Union, but for me to visit in my quest to visit all 50 states. After this week, I will have just four more to g... Read more
This week, my friend invited me up to visit her Stowe, Vermont. We enjoyed hiking in Smugglers Notch, shopping and dining in Stowe, ... Read more