Central Vermont Travel Guide
Fodor's Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire
Central Vermont's economy once centered on marble quarrying and mills. But today, as in much of the rest of the state, tourism drives the economic engine. The center of the dynamo is Killington, the East's largest downhill resort, but central Vermont has more to discover than high-speed chairlifts and slope-side condos. The old mills of Quechee and Middlebury are now home to restaurants and shops, giving wonderful views of the waterfalls that once powered the mill turbines. Woodstock has upscale shops and a national historic park. Away from these settlements, the protected (except for occasional logging) lands of the Green Mountain National Forest are laced with hiking trails.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Central Vermont restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Central Vermont
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Comfort Inn Trolley Square in May: $91 & Up Expedia
- $71.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Rutland Hotwire
- $39.00 & up : Full Size rentals in Rutland Hotwire
- May deal: Holiday Inn Rutland/Killington Fr $117+/Nt — $117 Expedia
- $29.00 & up : Compact rentals in Rutland — $29 Hotwire
In a time when "authentic" is a travel buzzword, its America's small towns that are drawing in visitors... Read more
Vermont is a food lover's heaven with farmers' markets, microbreweries, working farms, the Ben & Jerry's... Read more
Who better to point us in the direction of our new favorite ski destination than Olympic, World Cup, and... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now75° F Overcast 61% Humidity May 23, 2013 at 4:55PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I know this is a somewhat suggestive title and a little misleading. Read more
I took a three hour class at King Arthur Flour Baking Education Center in Norwich VT which was a lot of fun. Read more