Festivals and Events
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Festivals and Events
St. George Winter Bird Festival. Serious bird-watchers, along with the merely ornithologically curious, gather in St. George every January to peep at the nearly 400 feathery species. After a Thursday-night kickoff event, join in two full days of field trips, exhibits, lectures, and activities. 1851 S Dixie Dr., St. George, UT, 84770. 435/627–4560. www.sgcity.org/birdfestival/. $5.
Hurricane Easter Car Show. Classic cars from all over the region head to Hurricane every Easter weekend. Up to 10,000 people pack the Hurricane Community Center to see hot rods and munch hot dogs. 866/635–5720. eastercarshow.com. $5.
Dixie Downs Horse Races. For more than 40 years, two Saturdays in April are reserved for quarter horse racing at Dixie Downs Track, located at the Washington County Fair Grounds in Hurricane. 435/673–5553. stgeorgelions.com.
Western Legends Roundup. This nostalgic festival, held every August, is for anyone with a love of all things cowboys and Indians. For three days the small town of Kanab plays host to cowboy poets, musicians, and character actors from Old West TV series of yesteryear, such as The Virginian and Wagon Train. American Indian dancers and weavers, arts-and-crafts vendors, quilt shows, and a parade are also part of the fun. 435/644–3444. westernlegendsroundup.com.
Dixie Roundup. Sponsored by the St. George Lions Club, the Dixie Roundup rodeo has been a tradition for decades. The September event includes both young mutton busters and professional bull riders, and is held in the evenings on the green grass of Sun Bowl Stadium. 435/673–3301. stgeorgelions.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe