Salt Lake City and Logan are surrounded by mountains, which can trap pollution and create some of the worst air quality in the nation, particularly in winter. Red Alert action days happen several times a year (often for more than a week at a time) when strenuous activity, particularly by young and elderly people, is discouraged. Visit the Utah Department of Environmental Quality Web site to find out about air quality if you have asthma, allergies, or other breathing sensitivities.
Utah Department of Environmental Quality. www.airquality.utah.gov.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe