Amtrak connects Utah to Chicago and San Francisco Bay Area daily via the California Zephyr, which stops in Salt Lake City, Provo, Helper, and Green River. However, trains are notorious for delays.
Amtrak. 800/872-7245. www.amtrak.com.
Scenic Train Trips
On the Heber Valley Historic Railroad you can catch the Heber Creeper, a turn-of-the-20th-century steam-engine train that rides the rails from Heber City across Heber Valley, alongside Deer Creek Reservoir, and down Provo Canyon to Vivian Park. Depending on the time of year, you can catch the Comedy Murder Mystery Train, the Polar Express, the Cowboy Poetry Train, or special holiday rides.
Heber Valley Historic Railroad. 450 S. 600 West St., Heber City, UT, 84032. 435/654-5601. www.hebervalleyrr.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $167* & up -- Flights to/from Tucson on American, R/T American Airlines
- $157-$197 -- LA: Suite at 4-Star Hotel w/Rooftop Pool BookIt.com
- $118 & up -- Oahu: Waikiki Beach Hotel w/Oceanarium, 35% Off BookIt.com
- $1029 & up -- Big Island 3-Night Getaways incl. Air, Car Pleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel