Amtrak connects Utah to Chicago and San Francisco Bay Area daily via the California Zephyr, which stops in Salt Lake City, Provo, Helper, and Green River. However, trains are notorious for delays.
Amtrak. 800/872-7245. www.amtrak.com.
Scenic Train Trips
On the Heber Valley Historic Railroad you can catch the Heber Creeper, a turn-of-the-20th-century steam-engine train that rides the rails from Heber City across Heber Valley, alongside Deer Creek Reservoir, and down Provo Canyon to Vivian Park. Depending on the time of year, you can catch the Comedy Murder Mystery Train, the Polar Express, the Cowboy Poetry Train, or special holiday rides.
Heber Valley Historic Railroad. 450 S. 600 West St., Heber City, UT, 84032. 435/654-5601. www.hebervalleyrr.org.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe