- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
I-15 is the main route into southwestern Utah from Las Vegas to the southwest and Salt Lake City to the northeast. Farther east, U.S. 89 is a more scenic north-south route with access to Bryce Canyon National Park, the east side of Zion National Park, and the Kanab area. Routes 143 and 14 are the main east-west connecting routes.
Route 9 is the primary access to Springdale and Zion National Park. If you need to travel between I-15 and U.S. 89 via Route 9 during the day, you must pay the $25 admission fee to Zion National Park even if you do not plan to stop and visit. Access to the massive and remote Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument is via Route 12 to the north and U.S. 89 to the south.
In winter the primary access roads to Brian Head and Cedar Breaks National Monument are either closed occasionally for snow removal (Route 143 from the north and east) or closed for the season (Route 148 from the south). Call the Cedar City office of the Utah Department of Transportation at 435/865-5500 for current road conditions.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's