- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
East Side and the University of Utah
Situated on one of the shorelines of ancient Lake Bonneville, the University of Utah is the state's largest higher-education institution and the oldest university west of the Mississippi. It contains a natural-history museum, fine-arts museum, football stadium that was the site of the opening and closing ceremonies during the 2002 Winter Olympics, and a 15,000-seat indoor arena that played host to the 1979 NCAA basketball championship game, in which Larry Bird faced off against Magic Johnson. The University Medical Center and its neighbor, the Primary Children's Medical Center, east of the campus, are active in medical training and research. Research Park, south of the campus, houses scores of private companies and portions of 30 academic departments in a cooperative enterprise to combine research and technology in order to produce marketable products.
As you leave the downtown and university area, there are opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. Hiking trails lead across the foothills above the university. Red Butte Garden and Arboretum is a treat for the eye and a great place to learn about plants that thrive in dry climates such as Utah's. And if you like living history, wander the boardwalks in This Is the Place Heritage Park, where volunteers dress in 19th-century costume.
Shop at one of the smaller neighborhood clusters of shops like 9th & 9th (900 South, 900 East), Foothill Village, or Trolley Square to find unique souvenirs of Utah.
East Side and the University of Utah at a Glance
- Bingham Canyon Copper Mine
- Emigration Market
- Hogle Zoo
- Liberty Park
- Olympic Cauldron Park
- Red Butte Garden and Arboretum
Elsewhere in Salt Lake City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe