Bicycling in Salt Lake City
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Salt Lake City is a comparatively easy city to tour by bicycle, thanks in part to its extra-wide streets. Look for white striping on certain streets indicating a bike lane. An especially good route is City Creek Canyon, east of the capitol, particularly on odd-number days from Memorial Day through Labor Day and daily between Labor Day and Memorial Day, when the road is closed to vehicles. Liberty Park and Sugarhouse Park also have good cycling and running paths.
Experienced road and mountain bikers can find all levels of challenge within minutes of downtown. Utah is the training home of several Tour de France riders, and major national mountain-biking events are held here in summer. Salt Lake City, UT.
Bingham Cyclery operates five popular shops around the state, and just moved its Salt Lake City location to downtown, across the street from Pioneer Park. The friendly staff sells and rents bikes or will tune up the one you already have. 336 W. Broadway, Downtown, Salt Lake City, UT, 84101. 801/583-1940. www.binghamcyclery.
Contender Bicycles anchors the 9th and 9th neighborhood and is worth a visit if you're into cycling. You might catch Tour de France veterans Levi Leipheimer or Dave Zabriskie stopping by to chat or ride with this shop's competitive team. 875 E. 900 South, Downtown, Salt Lake City, UT, 84105. 801/364–0344. www.contenderbicycles.com. Mon.–Sat.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe