- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Shallow Shaft Review
For fine Angus beef, wild game, seafood, poultry, and pasta dishes, Alta's only sit-down restaurant not in a hotel is the place to go. The small interior is cozy, with a sandy color scheme and walls adorned with 19th-century mining tools found on the mountain. The cuisine has a regional focus, with dishes like smoked Utah trout cakes or bison tenderloin. The restaurant makes its own ice cream daily.
- Address: 10199 E. Hwy. 210, across from Alta Lodge Alta, UT 84092 | Map It
- Phone: 801/742–2177
- Website: www.shallowshaft.com
- Location: Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Oct.–early Nov. and May. Closed Mon.–Wed. June–Sept. No lunch.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Thanksgiving cooking is calling so I will keep this brief. Read more
Took the kids (ages 11 and 8) down to Bryce Canyon for Fall Break. Read more
Our family will be in Las Vegas this December 2013. Read more
· News & Features
Whether you're looking for a high-adrenaline adventure out on the slopes, the best spots for après-ski,... Read more
For every reason to visit Park City, Utah, amidst snowy landscapes, there's an equally good one to justify... Read more
There's no reason not to hit the slopes once the snow has melted away on the foothills—Park City's... Read more