- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Wasatch mountains surrounding Park City offer hundreds of miles of hiking trails, ranging from easy, meandering meadow strolls to strenuous climbs up wind-blown peaks. With 400 mi of trails, getting away from civilization and into the aspens is easy, and lucky hikers might spy foxes, coyotes, moose, elk, deer, and red-tailed hawks. Many of the trails take off from the resort areas, but some of the trailheads are right near Main Street. For beginners, or for those acclimating to the elevation, the Rail Trail is a good place to start. Another alternative is to take the McLeod Creek Trail from behind Park City Market all the way to the Redstone Center. The Round Valley and Lost Prospector trails are still mellow but slightly more challenging. To really get the blood pumping, head up Spiro or do a lengthy stretch of Mid-Mountain.
For up-to-date information about trail conditions and answers to your trail questions, contact Mountain Trails Foundation, whose mission is to promote, preserve, advocate for, and maintain Park City's local trail system. Maps detailing trail locations are available at most local gear shops. Box 754, Park City, UT, 84060. 435/649-6839. www.mountaintrails.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $68.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Provo Hotwire
- Book the Days Inn - Provo 3 Nts in May Fr $50+/Nt Expedia
- $44.49 & up : Full Size rentals in Provo Hotwire
- $59.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Provo — $59 Hotwire
- $41.49 & up : Midsize rentals in Provo — $42 Hotwire