- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The upper section of Big Cottonwood Canyon is a glacier-carved valley with many side drainages that lead to picturesque alpine lakes. In the Brighton area you can access beautiful mountain lakes just a short jaunt from the highway. The elevation at Brighton's parking lot is 8,700 feet, so take it easy, rest often, and drink plenty of water. A beautiful hike is along the Brighton Lakes Trail past four alpine lakes and then ascending to Catherine Pass. From here you can choose to descend into Little Cottonwood's Albion Basin near Alta (but remember, you'll need a car for the 45-minute ride back to Brighton), or back along the Brighton lakes trail to Brighton. UT.
At Catherine Pass you have the option of continuing up to Sunset Peak, which, at 10,648 feet, is one of the most accessible summits in the Wasatch Range. It's another short grunt to the top, but well worth the effort for the unsurpassed, nearly 360-degree views. The breathtaking vistas include the Heber Valley, Park City, Mount Timpanogos, Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, and even a portion of the Salt Lake Valley.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $429* & up -- Premium Economy to Boston from California, O/W Virgin America
- $116 & up -- Anaheim Hotels near Disney, Save 40% BookIt.com
- $134 & up -- 4-Star Hotel in Chicago Loop, Save 60% BookIt.com
- $45 & up -- Florida's Gulf Coast: Deals up to 55% Off The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel
- $749 -- Weeklong Glacier Cruise on Norwegian, Save $210 CruisesOnly