- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bear Lake's turquoise waters are a bit chilly for swimming on all but the hottest summer days, but boating is a popular way to enjoy the lake. Personal watercraft, sailboats, and motorboats are available at the Bear Lake Marina, at Rendezvous Beach, and in the surrounding towns. Prices vary from about $20 per hour for a catamaran to $60 an hour for a large motorboat capable of towing water-skiers. Be advised that the winds at this mountain lake can change 180 degrees within minutes (or go from 30 knots to completely calm), so inexperienced sailors may want to stick to a motorboat.
In addition to sailboats and motorized craft, Bear Lake Sails rents paddleboats, canoes, and kayaks that are great for poking around the lake's vast shoreline and marshes. You can also rent water skis, wet suits, tubes, and wakeboards here. Rte. 30, Laketown, UT, 84038. 435/946-2900 or 866/867-5912.
At the Bear Lake Marina, Cisco's Landing offers everything from personal watercraft to full-size ski boats. Don't neglect to pick owner Bryce Nielson's brain—he's a wildlife biologist and a former Garden City mayor, and he can tell you everything you need to know about the lake and its denizens, both above and below the water. Bear Lake Marina, U.S. 89, Garden City, UT, 84028. 435/946–2717.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's