- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
One of the most beautiful hikes in the area begins at the Jones Hole National Fish Hatchery, 40 mi northeast of Vernal on the Utah-Colorado border, and follows Jones Hole Creek through riparian woods and canyons, past petroglyphs and wildlife. The full trail is an 8-mi round-trip to the Green River and back, but you can stop halfway at Ely Creek and return for an easier, but still lovely, 4-mi hike. There are numerous trails in this area that are unmarked and not maintained, but easy to follow if you use reasonable caution. Vernal, UT.
Or check with the rangers at the Dinosaur Quarry Visitor Center for more information about the numerous hiking trails in the area. 435/781–7700. www.nps.gov/dino.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe