- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Red Fleet State Park, like the other reservoirs in the region, is great for boating and fishing. What really attracts visitors are the colorful sandstone formations surrounding the lake. In addition, a section of 200-million-year-old dinosaur tracks can be reached by a short hike or by boat, and camping is available. Day use is $5. 10 mi north of Vernal off U.S. 191, Vernal, UT, 84078. 435/789-4432. www.stateparks.utah.gov.
Boating and waterskiing enthusiasts love Steinaker Lake State Park. More than 2 mi long, Steinaker Reservoir relinquishes a fair number of largemouth bass and rainbow trout. There's a sandy swimming beach, hiking trails begin at the park, and wildlife-viewing areas are nearby. A campground and covered group pavilions make this a popular park. You'll pay $5 for day use. U.S. 191, 7 mi north of Vernal, Vernal, UT, 84078. 435/789-4432. www.stateparks.utah.gov.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Vernal in May: $134 & Up Expedia
- Starting Fr $181: Great Vernal Price Hotels.com
- Vernal Savings! Book at SpringHill Suites Vernal Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Expedia
- Starting Fr $199: Great Vernal Price — $199 Hotels.com
- May deal: Econo Lodge Downtown Fr $101+/Nt — $101 Expedia